The comparative value of wild and domestic plants in home gardens of a south African rural village
UNSPECIFIED. (2000) The comparative value of wild and domestic plants in home gardens of a south African rural village. AGROFORESTRY SYSTEMS, 48 (2). pp. 141-156. ISSN 0167-4366Full text not available from this repository.
Rural inhabitants make considerable use of wild resources from communal areas around their settlements, as well as from arable and residential plots. These wild resources compete with the main crops planted in arable plots and home gardens, but play a significant economic and nutritional role in rural livelihoods. This paper reports upon a conservative financial evaluation of the wild plant resources harvested from home gardens and arable plots by inhabitants of rural village in the Bushbuckridge lowveld (South Africa), and examines their importance relative to other domesticated crops. On average, each household made use of four to five species of wild plants growing on their residential plot, whereas the mean number of crop plants was 3.4. The total value of all plants was R1694 (US$ 269) per household per year, or approximately R4200 (US$ 667) per hectare of home garden per year. Wild plants represented 31% of the value of all plants grown on residential plots, relative to the 69% for domesticated crops (including fruit trees). Approximately 72% of the total value of all plant products was consumed by the household, and the remaining 28% was sold.
|Item Type:||Journal Article|
S Agriculture > SD Forestry
|Journal or Publication Title:||AGROFORESTRY SYSTEMS|
|Publisher:||KLUWER ACADEMIC PUBL|
|Official Date:||March 2000|
|Number of Pages:||16|
|Page Range:||pp. 141-156|
Actions (login required)
Downloads per month over past year