Automotive shredder residue (ASR) : reviewing its production from end-of-life vehicles (ELVs) and its recycling, energy or chemicals’ valorisation
Vermeulen, I., Van Caneghem, J., Block, C. B. (Chantal B.), Baeyens, Jan and Vandecasteele, Carlo. (2011) Automotive shredder residue (ASR) : reviewing its production from end-of-life vehicles (ELVs) and its recycling, energy or chemicals’ valorisation. Journal of Hazardous Materials, Vol.190 (No.1-3). pp. 8-27. ISSN 03043894Full text not available from this repository.
Official URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2011.02.088
ASR is in Europe classified as hazardous waste. Both the stringent landfill legislation and the objectives/legislation related to ELV treatment of various countries, will limit current landfilling practice and impose an increased efficiency of the recovery and recycling of ELVs. The present paper situates ASR within the ELV context. Primary recovery techniques recycle up to 75% of the ELV components; the remaining 25% is called ASR. Characteristics of ASR and possible upgrading by secondary recovery techniques are reviewed. The latter techniques can produce a fuel- or fillergrade ASR, however with limitations as discussed. A further reduction of ASR to be disposed of calls upon (co-)incineration or the use of thermo-chemical processes, such as pyrolysis or gasification. The application in waste-to-energy plants, in cement kilns or in metallurgical processes is possible, with attention to the possible environmental impact: research into these impacts is discussed in detail. Pyrolysis and gasification are emerging technologies: although the sole use of ASR is debatable, its mixing with other waste streams is gradually being applied in commercial processes. The environmental impacts of the processes are acceptable, but more supporting data are needed and the advantage over (co-)incineration remains to be proven.
|Item Type:||Journal Article|
|Subjects:||T Technology > TD Environmental technology. Sanitary engineering
T Technology > TP Chemical technology
|Divisions:||Faculty of Science > Engineering|
|Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH):||Automobile industry and trade -- Waste minimization, Automobiles -- Materials -- Recycling, Automobile-related wastes, Waste products as fuel , Biomass energy|
|Journal or Publication Title:||Journal of Hazardous Materials|
|Publisher:||Elsevier Science BV|
|Official Date:||15 June 2011|
|Page Range:||pp. 8-27|
|Access rights to Published version:||Restricted or Subscription Access|
Actions (login required)