The choir stalls of Lincoln Cathedral, Chester Cathedral and St Mary's Church, Nantwich
Allen, Joanne. (2008) The choir stalls of Lincoln Cathedral, Chester Cathedral and St Mary's Church, Nantwich. Journal of the British Archaeological Association, Vol.161 (No.1). pp. 104-130. ISSN 0068-1288Full text not available from this repository.
Official URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.1179/174767008x330554
Responding to the relatively sparse literature on choir stall canopies, this article concentrates on the micro-architectural canopies of the Lincoln, Chester and Nantwich stalls of the late 14th century. At Lincoln, a new three-dimensional polygonal canopy design appears, the precedents and sources for which include the York Minster chapter-house stalls, tombs, bishops' thrones and the Stratford monument in Canterbury Cathedral. The circumstances of the commissions of the Lincoln, Chester and Nantwich stalls are explained, with reference to patronage and architectural projects. Ambitious patrons commissioned stalls which broke with the tradition of double-screen construction in order to create impressive tabernacle canopies.
|Item Type:||Journal Article|
|Subjects:||N Fine Arts > NA Architecture|
|Divisions:||Other > Institute of Advanced Study
Faculty of Arts > History of Art
|Journal or Publication Title:||Journal of the British Archaeological Association|
|Official Date:||1 September 2008|
|Number of Pages:||27|
|Page Range:||pp. 104-130|
|Access rights to Published version:||Restricted or Subscription Access|
|Funder:||Arts and Humanities Research Council|
Actions (login required)